Trump landed in Puerto Rico and toured parts of the island. Meeting with some locals, and doing this extremely amateur presser below. He continues the narrative that Puerto Rico is an expensive burden and that there are those who would tarnish his name for the sake of politics. He also mentions the death count in a rather tactless way. All of these shall continue to be topics for the President in continuing his narratives.
Things worth noting:
- This, like other clips to be found on youtube, are raw feeds- no editing (here they cut down the sound for awhile on open mics when Trump is mingling). Some of the other raw feeds I’ve seen, in what appears to be the suburbs of San Juan, are interesting from a production standpoint. You see white house representatives directing the small media gaggle and occasionally hear Trump stumbling through what to say to the locals.
- Trump’s use of pronouns throughout the conference, seem to indicate, that in his mind, Puerto Rico is a foreign country. His use of “us” implies the United States, and “you” is Puerto Rico. “We” isn’t used very often and not like it was in Florida and Texas. It was explicit in those states that “we” was all of the United States.
- Melania Trump sits there sphinx-like as always. Who knows what this lady is ever thinking about? She becomes animated whenever the Governor’s young daughter wanders up to the table to talk to her mother, right next to Melania. She definitely loves children.
- This was an extremely casual press conference, so Trump was right at home bullshitting and literally saying nothing.
- In the middle somewhere, a coast guard representative makes sure to mention twice, that the people of Puerto Rico are US citizens. God Bless you dude.
Trump opened up the same way he opened up his Florida and Texas Pressers, by thanking and noting the spectacular achievements of his staff by name. He also asked for other federal representatives to speak, but clearly didn’t know where they were or who they were. He had a note in front of him which had two pieces of information on it:
Congressperson Jenniffer Gonzales-Colon
4:15 The governor doesn’t play politics.
4:35 (looking at paper)I also want to thank your congresswoman who actually represents the largest number of people of any congressperson in the United states, I know that, it’s three and a half million people Jenniffer right?(looking at paper) So congresswoman (looking at paper) Jenniffer Gonzales-Colon, who I’ve watched, the other day, and she was saying such nice things about all of the people that have worked so hard. Jenniffer, do you think you could say a little bit, what you said about us today…and it’s not about me, it’s about these incredible people from the military to FEMA, the first responders, I mean, I’ve never seen people working so hard in my life, perhaps you could say?…congresswoman.
8:04 I hate to tell you Puerto Rico, but you’re throwing our budget a little out of whack. Because we’ve spent a lot of money on Puerto Rico and that’s fine we saved a lot of lives. If you look at the, every death is a horror, but if you look at a real catastrophe like Katrina, and you look at the tremendous hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of people that died and you look at what happened here with really a storm that was just totally overpowering, nobody has really seen anything like this and what is your death count as of this moment 17?
Sixteen people certified, Sixteen people versus- in the thousands, ah you can be very proud of all of your people all of our people working together sixteen versus literally thousands of people, ah you can be very proud.
17:15 Our country’s really gone all out to help and ah it’s not only dangerous it’s expensive it’s everything but ah.
For the record Trump says these words this many times in around 7 minutes of speaking:
Tremendous: 3, Incredible: 7, Very: 8, Great: 9, Fantastic: 2, Amazing: 7, Beautiful: 2, Special: 4. All of these empty superlatives are filler for an otherwise exceedingly poor vocabulary coupled with a total lack of prepared factual information to disseminate.
Trump is on his way back to the US, and tweeting on the way, what an incredible and spectacular person he is, in case we have forgotten: